Join Our World Oceans Month and create a #DebrisFreeSea!
The oceans cover 71% of our planet. They are home to tens of thousands of marine species, provide food for animals and humans, regulate our climate and so much more. Every year, millions of tons of plastic and other forms of marine debris end up in our oceans and cause serious problems.
Dolphins, whales, sea turtles, fish and other animals mistake trash for food and eat it. They become entangled or trapped in marine debris, which can lead to devastating injuries and death.
We need your help!
The extreme threat of marine debris with its devastating effects on marine life has been recognized by governments and environmental organizations around the world. Join members of the Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks and Aquariums (AMMPA) and the European Association for Aquatic Mammals (EAAM) in the social media campaign to raise awareness of marine debris and motivate people around the world to clean up and prevent more trash from entering our world’s oceans.
What Can You Do?
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Cut the loop of rubber bands and six pack rings before disposing of them
- Organize or join clean-up activities in your area
- Post, tweet, and share daily messages about marine debris, conservation, marine life and your efforts to help using the hashtag #DebrisFreeSea. Let’s go viral and spread the messages around the world!
Be Part of the Global Effort.
Download the free Marine Debris Tracker app for your smartphone or tablet and join a team
- Outside of Europe: Log in to the app as Team Alliance (password: dolphin)
- In Europe: Log in to the app as Team EAAM (password: monkseal)
- Working Together, We Can Create a #DebrisFreeSea